|This is an archival document; you can access Wikimedia Ukraine's current strategic plan at the link|
| This page is the official Strategic plan of Wikimedia Ukraine. Its content was approved by the Organisation's General Assembly.
Attention: Do not edit this page apart from making technical corrections. If you have comments or questions to the Strategic plan, leave them on the talk page.
Strategic plan of Wikimedia Ukraine Non-profit Organization (hereafter — the Organization) for 2020-2022 includes our mission, vision, and values, as well as the overview of internal changes in the Organization and external factors that influence our activities. Main activity, directions, goals and subgoals for every direction, and risk map are defined here as well.
Mission, vision, and values
To assist the realization of the human right to use the common heritage of mankind through supporting initiatives on generating, developing, sharing, and popularising free knowledge.
The world in which everyone has access to knowledge in their native language and can competently use it.
Long-term vision of the Organization
Wikimedia Ukraine is a leader of a widespread, diverse and distinctive volunteer movement for free knowledge. The organization supports generating and popularising free knowledge, as well as open access to it. Wikimedia Ukraine supports sharing content in Ukrainian and other languages, especially languages of the ethnic groups traditionally inhabiting Ukraine, as well as active and quality development of wiki-community's capacity.
- Free knowledge. We create conditions for generating and sharing free knowledge and for open access to it.
- Quality. The quality of our work is important for us, and we strive for constant improvement.
- Openness. We take decisions transparently and openly, and we try to be as public as possible.
- Volunteering. We are primarily an association of volunteers.
- Independence. We are independent of political actors and commercial interests.
- Collaboration. Collaboration built on the principles of equality and mutual support is our core.
- Diversity. We support knowledge equity and are open to everyone who supports our values.
Wikimedia Ukraine exists since 2009. Till 2014 all projects were implemented only by volunteers, and since 2014 staff members and contractors have begun to be involved in programmatic activities. Since 2016, the role of the Board in the operational management had reduced, with a transition to strategic management. Major improvements in the financial management of the Organization have begun in 2018. 2019 saw changes in organizing events and a more systemic approach to advocacy, communication, and project management.
In 2019 we devised Strategy of the Organization for the first time, in order to prioritize our activities in a better way and choose which projects we implement and which we do not.
Wikimedia Ukraine depends on the environment — on the rapidly changing world and the place of Ukraine in it. Various factors influence our activities:
- Social: Our activities depend on the social situation in Ukraine, namely: level of development of public opinion and mass media, the situation with freedom of speech, as well as the culture of volunteering and fundraizing in Ukraine.
- Political: We are influenced by the political climate in Ukraine; in particular, it defines the ability of legislators, political leaders, and opinion leaders to pay sufficient attention to the issues that we are fighting for.
- Legislative: Our activities are based on the legislation of Ukraine: laws of Ukraine and international treaties signed by our country; changes to the legislation may influence us considerably.
- Technological: Wikimedia Ukraine operates in the conditions of rapid technological development — the spread of the Internet, the increasing importance of big data, the emergence and spread of new models of media consumption.
- Economic: Our development depends on the economic situation in Ukraine and the general economic situation in the world, particularly on donors' ability and will to support the development of free knowledge.
- Ecological: The Organization exists in conditions of the rising importance of climate change issues and environmental protection questions.
Wikimedia Ukraine is a part of the international Wikimedia movement and therefore depends on the global environment: economic, technical, social, and other changes that will influence Wikimedia projects will influence us as well. In addition, we depend on the political, economic, and social situation in the United States of America as a country of operation of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., an organization that supports the technical infrastructure of Wikimedia projects and disseminates funds which Wikimedia Ukraine depends on.
Strategic directions and goals
Wikimedia Ukraine's programmatic activities can be divided into five directions: 1) Content Enrichment; 2) Increasing Participation; 3) Wikimedia Projects Community Support and Development; 4) Awareness for Wikimedia; 5) Advocacy.
Supporting initiatives aimed at content enrichment of Wikimedia projects is a key model for the realization of generating and developing free knowledge, which is a part of our Mission. This direction has been an integral part of programmatic activities of the Organization, in one way or another, for the most part of its history.
Now, it is important for the Organization to work on defining specific content gaps in Wikimedia projects and encouraging their closure, as well as drawing more attention to the quality of the content (articles quality, media files relevance, etc.).
- Goal 1.
Expanding and enhancing the variety and quality of content on Wikipedia and its sister Wikimedia projects
- Sub-goal 1. Bridging text content gaps
- Organizing work on uploading sources published under free licenses
- Organizing research for identifying gaps on Wikipedia and working with volunteers to close them
- Improving content related to the local context
- Attracting content to sister Wikimedia projects, particularly digitizing for Wikisource
- Sub-goal 2.Enhancing quality of content
- Organizing targeted improvement of key articles
- Improving access to information: arrangement, structuring, and categorization of information which already exists (particularly on Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata)
- Organizing expert evaluation of articles quality
- Sub-goal 3. Attracting media content
- Organizing research for identifying gaps in the Ukrainian content on Wikimedia Commons and working with volunteers to close them
- Organizing contests to attract photographs and other types of media
- Working with institutions and experts to attract thematic media content
Working on increasing participation in Wikimedia projects is one of the key tasks of Wikimedia Ukraine. Wikiprojects exist owing to the volunteer community, and expanding this community has a positive impact on the development of wikiprojects and, therefore, on sharing free knowledge. To achieve this, the Organisation works on supporting newcomers and engaging Wikipedia and wikiprojects contributors to the community, as well as increasing diversity of the wikicommunity.
We strive to integrate work with Wikipedia into the educational process more closely, to use modern online technologies to engage new people and to encourage participation of experts in the work on Wikimedia projects.
- Goal 2. Increasing the number of active volunteers in all fields of Wikimedia activity.
- Sub-goal 1. Attracting new editors to Wikimedia projects
- Organizing offline training sessions to attract new editors to Wikipedia and its sister projects
- Using contemporary online technologies to teach the general public how to edit Wikipedia
- Integration of reading and editing Wikipedia in education
- Sub-goal 2. Increasing diversity of the community of editors
- Cooperation with state, scientific, cultural, and educational institutions to increase the number of experts involved in editing Wikipedia
- Identifying underrepresented groups of users and holding targeted events aimed to engage them in editing Wikipedia
- Supporting development of communities of sister projects and projects in the languages of ethnic groups that have traditionally inhabited Ukraine.
Community Support and Development
Wikimedia projects are contributed to and supported by a self-organized volunteer community, but the organizational support that Wikimedia Ukraine can provide is useful for this community. This direction has long been part of the Organization's programmatic activities, and we will continue to use the proven ways of working with the wikicommunity.
At the same time, we seek to make an additional emphasis on developing the technical skills of the community in order to avoid "bottlenecks": situations where the skills of several people are crucial to the quality and timeliness of projects. In addition, we plan to focus more on initiatives aimed at motivating contributors and improve communication on the Organization's work with the wikicommunity.
- Goal 3. [Reaching a] motivated, informed, active, responsible and skilled community which acts effectively and cohesively for sharing and popularizing free knowledge.
- Sub-goal 1. Instruction for community members
- Organizing training sessions for specific skills (templates, files, mentorship, etc.)
- Holding events for sharing experience between editors
- Organizing hackathons and other events for the development of technical skill for Wikimedia projects
- Supporting participation of community representatives in international Wikimedia events for sharing experience and acquiring skills
- Sub-goal 2. Increasing the community's motivation and awareness
- Supporting community initiatives for distinguishing and motivating editors (virtual or physical rewards, support of newbies)
- Improving communication, informing about and popularizing the Organization's activity among the community of Wikipedia and sister projects
Awareness about Wikimedia
Effective dissemination and promotion of free knowledge are only possible if there is widespread public awareness of Wikimedia projects and principles of their work. Promoting Wikipedia, wikiprojects and free knowledge has always been among the tasks of the Organization.
We want to divide the work on Wikimedia projects and free licenses awareness and advocacy work. It is also our goal to develop the Organization's communication strategy built on this strategic plan.
- Goal 4. Increasing awareness of Wikimedia Ukraine, Wikimedia projects, and free licenses
- Sub-goal 1. Media support and promotion of Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects
- Developing the Organization's communication strategy
- Disseminating information about the Organization's activity, Wikimedia projects, and free licenses through sharing press-releases and social media & blog publications
- Organizing promotional events (press breakfasts, press conferences, lectures etc.)
- Sub-goal 2. Working with readers and the general public to increase awareness
- Cooperation with national and international partners in the field of free knowledge
- Organizing surveys for readers and target audiences
- Developing information materials about Wikipedia, Wikimedia projects and free licenses, participating in events for increasing awareness about them
One of the goals of Wikimedia Ukraine is to advocate at the state level for the changes needed for the development of free knowledge. In this direction, we are currently working almost exclusively on “freedom of panorama,” and the existence of “freedom of panorama” in Ukraine is the Organization's primary objective in the context of advocacy for the next three years.
At the same time, we must also work to advocate for other changes in legislation that bring benefits to the development of free knowledge. Advocacy was not previously a separate direction of the activity of the Organization, but discussions showed that it was appropriate to make it a separate direction.
Separating this particular direction will also emphasize the need to build the advocacy capacity of the Organization and the volunteer community, as well as establish contacts with potential partners in advocacy for positive changes for free knowledge in Ukraine.
- Goal 5. Ukraine has the "freedom of panorama"
The implementation of the Strategic plan is also impossible without further changes in the Organization. These changes are roughly divided into three big blocks: strategic, operational and financial. The Organization needs to work on improving the Organization's communication and look for ways to ensure sustainable funding.
- The Board is responsible for strategic decisions, and not operational ones
- Review of the Strategic Plan the risk map takes place regularly: once a year
- In 2022, a strategic plan is discussed for the next three years
- In 2020, there is a person responsible for the communication of the Organization
- The communication strategy of the Organization has been developed and is being implemented
- In 2022, there is a person responsible for the Organization's fundraising
- Fundraising plan of the Organization has been developed and is being implemented
- Timely submission of information to the Board on balances and potential deviations from the planned budget is ensured
Map of risks
The risk map gives an idea about the risks of various levels (strategic and operational) that may affect the Organization and its activities. These risks and the ways to minimize them should be reviewed regularly by the Board.
|Low-impact, unlikely||High-impact, unlikely||High-impact, likely||Low-impact, likely|
|The Organization's inability to adapt to significant changes in the environment||Large-scale escalation of military actions or riots on the streets of Kyiv||Lack of sustainable financing|
|Introduction of martial law||Adoption of legislation that significantly limits the activities of NGOs|
|Rise to power of undemocratic forces||Significant decline in volunteer culture in Ukraine|
|Collapse of the financial (banking) system||Rejection of the activities of the Organization by the wikicommunity|
|Repressive measures against the Organization by the authorities|
|Raider takeover of the organization|
|Loss of relevance by Wikipedia and wikiprojects|
|Low-impact, unlikely||High-impact, unlikely||High-impact, likely||Low-impact, likely|
|Outgrowth by staff members and contractors of their role in the organization||Unpreparedness of the Organization's staff, contractors and volunteers, as well as its established practices, to the dynamics of its growth||Delay, substantial reduction or loss of funding from the Wikimedia Foundation||Lack of internal monitoring and evaluation in the Organization|
|Weak mechanism for a prompt response to external events||Loss of confidential information|
|Sudden outflow of key staff members, contractors or/and volunteers for the Organization|
- ↑ This refers to articles that are key to understanding a certain topic. They can be identified in different ways (for example, through creating a list of articles which should be present for every topic (e.g. Вікіпедія:Проект:1000+500+) or through templates for evaluating articles: Вікіпедія:Проект:Біологія/Оцінки etc). To work on this goal, "key" articles should be identified first
- Planned metrics for each track and goal for 2020-2022 (excel spreadsheet format, open to comment, in Ukrainian)